The true origins of Cooper & Co. have been lost in the annals of history, however, what is known is that on 24th June 1834 Thomas Cooper, Richard Cooper and John Stringer formed a new venture as Thomas Cooper and Co, which handled the wholesale of commodities.
The business is recorded to have operated from addresses across London and Brighton selling tea directly to consumers in varying amounts. By the mid 1800's the company was engaged in international trade to various British colonies with The Cooper & Co. trading network encompassing much of the world.
A front page advertisement in an 1890 edition of the Jersey Evening Post shows Cooper & Co. traded on King's Street and were known as Tea Men with their own Tea shop. This makes Cooper's one of the oldest remaining locally owned Jersey companies, a fact of which we are hugely proud.
Today Cooper & Co trades from three sites on Jersey. 57 Halkett Place is the hub of our roasting, packing and retail operation. We have a cafe at Castle Quay on the Waterfront and finally a cafe on the first floor of the Co-Op, Grand Marche, St. Helier.
Cooper & Co. are long standing members of the Fairtrade Foundation which entitles us to use their logo on any Fairtrade certified coffee we roast and pack.
In December 2013 we visited farmers in Peru and Bolivia; 2015 Araku Valley in India and November 2016, northern Sumatra. Many of the coffees we sell are directly linked to the places we have visited.
At a local level we are proud to be recognised as an "Eco-Active" business, a States of Jersey environmental scheme which encourages us to focus on the three tenants of recycle, reduce and reuse.
We have two cafes and one store, however the largest element of our business is food service. We supply over 300 outlets on Jersey including large offices, Michelin starred restaurants and beach cafes. We also offer on-site free training and advice to our food service customers